Dispute Over Stimulus Check Leaves Four People Dead in Indiana

Malik Halfacre, 25, was arrested following a standoff and is accused of killing his girlfriend Jeanettrius Moore’s daughter, 7-year-old Eve Moore, her brother, 23-year-old Daquan Moore, along with her mother, 44-year-old Tomeeka Brown, and her cousin, 35-year-old Anthony Johnson.

Moore’s cousin, Wendy Johnson, says Halfacre was pressuring Moore to give him half of her stimulus money before the incident. She recalled overhearing Moore telling Halfacre, “No, you don’t deserve any of this. I work. I take care of our child. You don’t do anything.” After Halfacre continued to pressure Moore, she offered to give him $450, but he wasn’t satisfied, telling her that he was going to “get that money.”

On Saturday (March 13) evening, Johnson says Halfacre walked up to Moore and gave her an “evil look” while she was watching her car on the curb outside of her house. Johnson says that Halfacre came back later, demanding money and going through Moore’s purse. Moore’s brother, Daquan, then stood up to Halfacre and told him that he couldn’t have any of his sister’s money, pushing him, which is when Johnson says Halfacre pulled out a gun and started shooting everyone.

She explained, “He shot Daquan first. He shot Anthony. He turned around, and he shot my Auntie Tomeeka. My Auntie Tomeeka said, ‘Malik!’ and he shot her again. He came back and shot Daquan for the second time and somewhere between little baby Eve got hit somewhere and she was screaming, she was screaming.

“He went back in the house, and that’s when he shot Anthony again when he was coming down the steps. When he went in the house, that was Jeanettrius’ cue to run for her life, and that’s what she did. Ran for her life in traffic across New York Street and knocking on everyone’s doors.”

Moore hid on a neighbor’s porch until the officer’s arrived. Meanwhile, Halfacre had taken their 6-month-old daughter and fled the scene. Police and Halfacre were engaged in a four-hour SWAT standoff, and he was found in an attic of a nearby home while trying to avoid several volleys of tear gas that had been fired inside. Nearly 24-hours after the murders took place, their baby was recovered unharmed.

... More